At Superior Spine Care we are excited to offer our patients the benefits of MAT®, or Muscle Activation Techniques, from our chiropractic clinic in North Olmsted.
What is MAT®, or Muscle Activation Techniques?
Many athletes and people participating in exercise expose their bodies to mechanical stress. If the mechanical stress crosses a specific threshold, the body will adapt by forming a protective compensation. These compensations protect the joint at risk. However, this is often done at the expense of muscle pain and stiffness. MAT® looks at muscle tightness as a form of protection in the body. Weak or inhibited muscles can create the need for other muscles to tighten up in order to help stabilize the joints. MAT® gets to the root of pain or injury by addressing muscle weakness rather than muscle tightness. This helps to restore normal body alignment, thereby, decreasing pain and reducing the risk of injury. MAT® will increase muscle contractile capabilities which will allow the muscle to tolerate greater amounts of force. The difference between MAT® and other therapies is that MAT® treats the root cause of the discomfort, rather than their symptoms, for quick and long-lasting results.
MAT® Could Benefit You If You Have Had Issues With:
- Recurring injuries
- Loss of flexibility
- Muscular Fatigue
- Decreased strength
Or if you are:
- Starting an exercise program
- Training for a sport
- Fearful of exercise due to pain
What is the MAT® Process
MAT® is considered a non-invasive technique, designed to balance the muscular system of people of all ages. It is also described as a unique systematic format used to “jumpstart” the muscles in order for them to function with maximum efficiency. MAT® is effective for patients from elite athletes to rehabilitation patients, and anyone in between. Muscle Activation Techniques, or MAT®, is a system of checks and balances to ensure that every muscle treated has been activated. The process includes:
– At the start of every session a Range of Motion evaluation is conducted regardless of how many times the client has been treated
– Evaluating muscles and testing them for weakness. Once weakness has been identified these muscles are treated to restore neural communication and strength. Joint pain and muscle tightness are present because of muscle weakness. They are symptoms of muscle inhibition not the root cause.
– Activation of muscles is accomplished by palpating at the attachment sites.
– Each joint range of motion is compared bilaterally to locate an asymmetrical imbalance.
– Once the joint is assessed in all planes of motion the MAT® practitioner will start with the largest asymmetrical range of motion discrepancy. All muscles that shorten (contract) while crossing the joint will be tested.
Cleveland Indians Rajai Davis Credits MAT
Below is an excerpt from the Cleveland Plain Dealer article from Jun 17, 2016 Cleveland Indians veteran outfielder Rajai Davis still burning rubber at 35
Davis credits his speed to a lifestyle “conducive to doing the right thing when everyone is watching and when no one is watching’ and MAT (Muscle Activation Technique), a training program he learned from former Detroit teammate Ian Kinsler…
He asked Kinsler about MAT after watching him play 161 games, score 100 runs and drive in 92 as the Tigers second baseman/leadoff hitter in 2014.
“He sat out one game the whole year and was always in the mix of everything,” said Davis. “I asked him about it and he told me. I do it all year long. The key is getting a good trainer. They’re all over the nation.”
Nick Mosley, MATCS
Nick Mosley, our certified MAT® specialist has 11 years experience in the fitness industry working with athletes from the NFL, NHL, MLB, NCAA, and high school level utilizing Muscle Activation Techniques. This technique provides the tools necessary for Nick to get his athletes back on the field quickly while functioning at the most optimal level.
– B.S. Exercise Science University of Akron. (Graduating 2018)
– A.S. Sports and Fitness Management Lorain County Community College.
– A.S. Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant Lorain County Community College.
– Completed the MAT internship and all MAT Mastery modules: Cervical, Upper body, Trunk & Spine, Lower body, Foot function, Wrist & Hand.
– Currently enrolled in the Muscle Activation Techniques elite Rx program.
What Our Patients Are Saying
I used to get migraines frequently, so I thought I’d give Superior Spine a try. I’ve been going to Superior Spine for close to two years now. Ever since I started getting a monthly massage and adjustment, my migraines have lessened immensely! I recommend Superior Spine!!
I can't speak highly enough of Dr. Wensink's practice. After hurting my back about a year ago, I have been visiting on a regular basis and they are always accommodating with scheduling. Dr. Wensink takes the time to get to know you as a patient, and asks thoughtful questions to ensure that his treatment meets your needs. The practice is conveniently located and with occasional Saturdays makes it easy to find a time to visit.
Dr. Neil and his staff provide truly superior care. He is an experienced, very talented chiropractor who carefully investigates and effectively treats painful, complicated conditions. He is thoughtful, kind, and focused. The pleasant office is clean and well managed. He is one of the very best chiropractors I've seen. I highly recommend his practice.
Proudly Caring for Patients from
North Olmsted, Westlake, N. Ridgeville, Olmsted Falls, Fairview Park, Avon Lake, Avon and Surrounding Areas